Saturday 12 November 2011

Stained Glass

I am always drawn to grand examples of stained glass. I often wander into churches when we are away in the hope that I might discover something wonderful to provoke a reaction from me. Visiting the magnificent St George's Hall in Liverpool did not disappoint. The place as a whole is outstanding, steeped in grandeur and history. In the grand hall there are two examples of stained glass that are equally bold and colourful. At the south end we have St George slaying the dragon whilst at the north, we see Neptune and Triton accompanied by a pair of liver birds (cormorants).

Liverpool proved to be somewhat of a surprise to me. It was my first visit and I didn't really have any pre-conceived ideas of what to expect. Suffice to say I enjoyed exploring the city so much that I have already talked of a return visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment