Thursday 10 November 2011

Exquisite Writing Desk

First of all, I apologise for the quality of this photograph. It was taken on my phone as I'd left my camera back at the hotel on this day. I'm such a moose sometimes. Anyway, there is a story behind this which I'll  now disclose. A year ago we visited this antiques warehouse up north and came across this beautiful piece of furniture. We have often thought of it and talked of it and when we had another trip north in September we decided to return to the warehouse to see if the desk was still there. It took a while but eventually we spotted it. 
It is Circa 1870, a two piece satinwood desk of wonderful exhibition quality. The detail is exquisite with some of the finest marquetry we had ever seen depicting mythical birds, musical instruments, flowers and so much more. Even the satinwood tapering legs are inlaid with floral detail and are united by a crossover stretcher complete with scallop shell inlay. On our second visit we noticed that the price appeared to be £6000 less than a year ago, if our memories serve us correctly. I can almost hear you thinking 'well in that case what on earth was the price showing on the label now?'. Drum roll required here .... £22,000. Yup, you read correctly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment