Thursday 3 November 2011

A brief window into an unknown life

That may seem to be a strange title but let me explain. There I was, in my car, in a stationary line of traffic on Beverley High Road waiting for the lights to change. The vehicle in front was a large people carrier or no, better still, a workers mini bus. The side door opened and 3 or 4 men climbed out. I noticed one in particular with his heavy duty donkey jacket and hard hat, carrying a robust bag with the top of a thermos flask peeping out. I imagined that 8 hours earlier there would also have been a cluster of sandwiches, a bag of crisps and a chocolate bar in there too. As I'm taking this in I was aware of a figure to my left in full flight and turned to see a young woman being dragged mercilessly forward by what can only be described as a giddy labrador. The ears were flapping, it's tail was beating wildly and the eyes darted about in great excitement. If it could speak I know the words "dad! dad! dad!"would have resonated through the air. Dog and workerman made full bodily contact and the dog's day was complete. I smiled and enjoyed being part of a happy moment in time. The lights changed and I was on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment