Monday 6 February 2012

Our Wonderful Winter Common Pasture Land

Today is Monday and yesterday was Sunday and I wish it was yesterday again. Like many other areas of England we awoke to a heavy covering of snow and this, to the child-like side of my character, equated to our very own fairy tale winter wonderland. It had the added advantage of being fresh and clean too. Oh what joy! I simply had to get out there to experience this rare opportunity before it all disappeared for another year. You'll probably have realised by now that I had temporarily suspended my usual reaction to heavy snow as I didn't need to use my car. It was almost as if I was in a convenient bubble of hedonism and had blocked out the existence of another world that I just didn't want to think about for 24 hours. So off we went on the short walk to the Westwood breathing the clean fresh air into the far corners of our gills. Boy it felt good.


And before long we came across the people and the dogs. All ages and all shapes and sizes. And for me as a dog lover it was as much about the dogs as it was about the people. Have you ever noticed how much dogs just love being around people at play? They are in heaven.
Now below is a lovely hound who, shall we say, was a little on the voluptuous side. Hadn't quite retained the figure of her youth. I digress. I first spotted her as she was trying to squeeze under the nearby bench  failing miserably. So she gave up and decided instead to chew playfully on a lump of snow as she eyed me suspiciously. This same dog was soon to be seen scampering about like a crazy kid making friends with people and other animals in the area and generally enjoying the freedom that her kind guardian had allowed her on this special day. You may spot her in another photo later on as she scampers and plays.

 Then we have the grown-ups at play. Good on you who ever you are. 

 Oh and the colours - such a great photographic opportunity
This hound was called Holly. A pretty brindle cross staffy with a liking for all things 'snow'. Here she waits, alert, ready for the snowball to be launched. I have no idea who most of these people are but I often find that we communicate through our dogs and before long we know their names


 Little and large. I have seen these beauties around town and they always draw admiring glances. How beautiful they are ... one day I will know their names too. 
 And after a couple of idyllic hours we started to head home. It was a perfect morning and I reflected later upon what a wonderful, spontaneous, community gathering we had witnessed and been part of. There were hundreds of people and dogs enjoying our special area of common land and we all got along so well. It's times like this that my faith in humankind is restored. It was all free, it was all healthy and the biggest surprise of all? I cannot remember hearing or seeing one piece of electronic equipment anywhere! Pinch me - I think I must have been dreaming

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos! Looks like you had a great time x

    ReplyDelete