Saturday 20 October 2012

Being Cared For


Last weekend we had rather a lovely day in Bridlington. It isn't a place I often rush to but following our experience, I now yearn for a return visit. I think, like a lot of people, when I consider this resort upper most in my mind is a small area of Bridlington that, how shall we say - lacks panache. But bear with me and you too may reconsider and give the place a chance when you understand all that it has to offer.
We started by parking up in the old town in a free car park behind High Street. We had coffee and cream scones at The Georgian Tea Rooms and it was very good indeed. The cafe is a bit of a mixed bag but full of charm with very efficient service. Upstairs is a kind of antiques come bric-a-brac centre where much rummaging can be done in search of hidden treasure. Which we didn't happen to find that particular day. Maybe next time.
Then we headed off to deal with the main purpose of the trip. There is an old fashioned shoe shop that sells real quality mens shoes. My husband bought some Trickers 20 years ago in Pickering and for the last 3 years he's been in search of a shoe shop that stocks said brand, in the hope that he can replace them with a similar tan brogue to last him until 2032. I only recently discovered that Marshalls on High street sell Trickers and also Barkers - both of them made in England. Suffice to say, mission was accomplished and he was chuffed to bits.
Thereafter, we wandered up and down High street in complete awe of the well preserved Georgian architecture. One of the finest in England apparently. There's no wonder it has been used for films and television dramas given it's condition. In particular, I am drawn to the beautiful bow windows and fan lights that for me, just scream Dickens.


As well as art galleries, restaurants, cafes, shoe shops and a second hand book shop, there is even a Singer sewing machine repairer, and on a practical level, a butcher, a baker, a florist and a green grocer. Before I forget, I must point out that the second hand book shop is well worth a look. It is in an old apothecary and the interior is still in tact as you can see from the picture below. I was practically drooling as I asked the proprietor if I could take a photo. 




By now, it was lunch time and we came across rather an old fashioned looking little restaurant with bow windows and heavy lace curtains. I think it was called Ellie Maes. In the window there was a newspaper article that gave the place a glowing review and emphasised that therein awaits the most cheerful waitress you may ever meet. Well that was enough for us and in we went. Sure enough, we were greeted in such a warm manner by a lady who was clearly the one referred to in the window article and as she showed us to a table she asked if we'd like some refreshing iced water for our table as we perused the menu. I felt all of a glow as it is so long since I had witnessed this level of welcome and care in a catering environment. 
We sipped wine as we chose from the menu and enjoyed a delicious roast lamb dinner with perfectly cooked vegetables. Yes, I repeat, perfectly cooked vegetables and, with a jug of gravy. The other half had apple and blackberry crumble with cream and we both had a cup of quality coffee. Pinch me I was in heaven. We left all of a glow and I thanked this wonderful lady for making us feel so cosseted and cared for. 
Then we headed up to the south side for a long walk along the prom to the harbour and back, calling in to see the Spa complex now that it has all been upgraded. I say, it is so impressive. Job well done.


As we strolled back I took the above snap on my mobile phone by pointing it towards the sun in the hope that it may yield an interesting result. I think it's quite atmospheric
One final chapter before I end this report. We had been told of a shop on the north side prom called Whiteleys that remains unchanged for decades and I just had to have a look. It was so quaint and as I stepped over the threshold I swear I was back to 1971. My friend has been searching for some cotton lace half-nets for the house and hey presto I do believe I've found them. And to finish on a complete kitsch high I bought the little chap at the bottom who had been knitted by a local lady. Seventies or what I say ? So just go, enjoy and return home all of a warm glow as we did






1 comment:

  1. A lovely post filled with lovely photos. Makes me wish that I was on your side of the pond.

    OpinionsToGo

    ReplyDelete