Sunday 4 December 2011

Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy

A few months ago I came across a book that I coveted for some time called In Search Of A Masterpiece by Christopher Lloyd. The cover declares it to be 'an art lover's guide to Great Britain and Ireland' and the accompanying blurb begins 'if you happen to find yourself in Hull, Cork or Dundee, what paintings should you go and look at ?'. The more I read about this book the more I relished the idea of getting my hands on a copy. I mosied on down to one of my favourite book shops, Waterstones, and found it in no time. Oh what joy! It was a delight and before long, it was mine. I keep it out on the dining table at home and dip into it on an adhoc basis, when time permits.
Before I go on I have to point out that another aspect of the book that thrilled me is that it covers the wonderful Ferens Art Gallery in Hull. An often overlooked feature of the city that some locals don't appreciate or have never even visited. I implore you, take the time to go there and you won't be disappointed. 
So this Sunday morning, as I wandered around the house in a leisurely fashion I paused to dip into the book and came upon the above painting by none other that David Hockney. I doubt there is a single sole in the whole of the country who has not heard of this iconic artist. He is a local lad, Yorkshire through and through. The story behind the picture is tinged with sadness I'm afraid. Mr Hockney was a good friend of Raymond 'Ossie' Clark and Celia Birtwell and acted as best man at their wedding in 1969, his gift to them being this portrait. Funnily enough, the cat was never actually called Percy, it was 'Blanche' but he thought the former name to make a better title. I guess that's what one may refer to as artistic license. The three met through art school and unfortunately, the marriage was short lived and even more tragically, Ossie Clark was murdered in 1996. But to this day, Mr Hockney and Celia Birtwell are still dear friends and she continues to sit for him. Somehow, I doubt that Blanche aka Percy is still around though. I am adding a link to an article about Ossie Clark 

No comments:

Post a Comment